Camila: Today it is in the collections section, along with the other more valuable books in the National Library. Daniel: And how many people did they search? Camila: Exactly. He stopped in front of the display, saw that the book was missing and put his hands on his head. My guide introduced me to another officer but neither of them knew why I was there. How may I help you? lvaro: I would rather have that responsibility and not leave other people in charge of it. Camila: Thats the bad part. lvaro: And I said to myself crap, what am I going to do? It was an expression like I dont understand whats happening.. 20 years in prison for stealing a book? And well, now I have to introduce you to two more people. Based on a short story by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, in which he narrates the misadventures of people living in a small town that discovers that the billiard balls have disappeared from the only center of . Find us on NPR One in your app store. And you would think that a thief is ready for something, dont you think?. Penguin. Camila: I have no idea, but you can imagine that he or she might threaten him or something, right? Thanks to la Productora Snica, Sandra Acero and Jos Luis Pearedonda. Yes, it will close. And finally, the vendor. Camila: Yes. They said they had found out that someone had the book and that this person had set up a meeting with a possible buyer. More than double what the supervisor told me. So, of course, the pressure for everything to be ready and go well was enormous. When I went out to eat breakfast, I also went by the bookstore. My name is Luca Fernanda Buitrago Montaez. Camila: Edgar thought that not much time had passed between when they had been robbed and when they noticed. More than double what the supervisor told me. Then they told him he had to go to a press conference. Memory Changes. David wasnt just in charge of that bookstore, he was also the president of the Association of Independent Booksellers, the ACLI [by its initials in Spanish]. No one did. But instead he was very controlled. Camila: They say that they are meeting on a foot bridge near the neighborhood. Thats a bit excessive, dont you think? They took all of the books out of the display case and started packing them up. This contradicts the title. Of the presumed eight thousand first copies presumed because back in 67 when it was published, records were not as precise as they are today lvaro has found seven. Then I opened it to the page with the inscription and said, yes, this is my book, and I started to cry. Camila: A little later, we went down to the press conference where there were several media outlets. They were about to close the fair and the police never arrived. Garca Mrquez sent the first three chapters of 100 Hundred Years of Solitude to Carlos Fuentes, who along with the Argentinean writer Julio Cortzar was an early fan and supporter. This is what he told me: Supervisor: No, the investigation is still ongoing. Came up to me looking very friendly and said, You dont know how proud we are to have recovered your book. And on his desk there was a cardboard box for a router. How may I help you? What a country. lvaro spoke briefly and finally gave the donation. Ive never heard anyone talk that fast in my whole life. is one of the most important newspapers in the country and Telfono Rosa is a news section or rather, a gossip section about celebrities in Colombia that comes out once a week, every Sunday. They said that the file on the robbery had been placed in whats called a provisional file. No one did. Which is to say, it would be nice if all of the cases the police handled where recommended cases and they were just as efficient when they deal with the robbery of an average, ordinary citizen. Camila: This is the vice-attorney general at the time, Juan Vicente Valbuena. According to the supervisor, they didnt catch them. lvaro: Now that I think about it, it really was a flimsy lock. This is the vice-attorney general at the time, Juan Vicente Valbuena. by Jonathan Rosenbaum October 26, 1985. They are absolutely magisterial." He dates his interest in writing to an impulse to draw comics as a child. Not much. . Im Daniel Alarcn. Everyones spirits were as low as they could be. So, of course, the first thing the supervisor does is call the chief of police to tell him that he has this information, and his chief tell his own boss to tell him. Neither floods nor plagues, nor famines nor cataclysms, nor even the eternal wars of century upon century have been able to subdue the persistent advantage of life over death. When he returns, she asks him what they are good for and he replies, to play billiards. And that they had already identified and intercepted him. lvaro: Were going to send a squad car for you.. David: I mean, at that point I was much more worried and I really wanted to go figure out what had happened with the police because I was really worried that this was going to turn into a big story in the media and we hadnt even filed a report. The first question they asked him was, how do you feel now? And lvaro answered: Right now I feel different because I realized that this didnt just happen to me, it happened to all of Colombia. I really didnt want to call lvaro. Were only first editions by Garca Mrquez, which made a kind of general timeline starting with his first published book to his last. The first thing I thought was, how am I going to face lvaro when I see him?. Rodolfo Palomino: We have accomplished something very important, very important. We went to a car and parked in a parking lot in the basement. He was at his own bookstore, almost on the other side of the city, in the middle of an event with a writer. Youre crazy, what are you thinking?!. Like saying that lvaro had stolen it himself, which seemed like the meanest possible thing to me. Daniel Alarcn: Did you know NPR has an app? I dont know I dont know anything. This makes Damaso a hard character to like. And on Saturday, May 2nd, the day the book was stolen and just three days before the end of the fair, about 73 thousand people went to the event. One of his stories, "There are No Thieves in This Town," was filmed by an experimental group for presentation at the 1965 Locarno Film Festival. Palomino: We know they were going to sell it for more than 120 million pesos. They say that they are meeting on a foot bridge near the neighborhood. In other words, people who sell things with dubious origins. That was the phrase the supervisor used. Camila: From what I understand, it isnt open because they arent looking for the culprits, but it isnt closed because they havent found them. Camila: Edgar said something similar to me: Edgar: The fact that the culprit was never found gives me the feeling that things were done a little like the whole thing wasnt so transparent. Lupa is our new app for Spanish learners who want to study with Radio Ambulantes stories. Story Summary: "There Are No Thieves in This Town" Damaso, a 20-year-old man returns at dawn to the small room he shares with his wife, Ana, who is six months pregnant. Camila: He showed me the inscription and then he showed me something else. Daniel: And what did he say about recovering the book? And the lieutenant was nowhere to be seen. What he did say was that the book had been prepared to be sold when it was discovered. And well, Im telling you all this, Daniel, because I sat there for almost two hours and I couldnt believe how much bureaucracy I had to deal with. Personajul principal din Guy, Ryan ReynAvatar: Calea Apeis a zis ca nu a mai avut o aventura pe cinste de la filmul Deadpool pana acum. Garca Mrquez had died a year earlier, in April 2014, and this book fair was being held in his honor. They looked like something out of the last century: there were two panes of glass one was sliding and they were held shut by a little lock, a keyhole with a saw-toothed shaped plate. Camila: They asked the police in that sector for help. He tweets at @itsjuanlove. And they decided to infiltrate the black market, where this was being discussed. Major: Well, as far as I know, the only book by Garca Mrquez that was stolen was that one. Book Quotes "There are no thieves in this city #juice" Other books like "There are no thieves in this city #juice" Home Manufacture and Use of Unfermented Grape Juice. Edit. In 1970, the novel was chosen as one of the twelve best books of the year by many American critics; in 1972, Garca Mrquez won the Rmulo Gallegos Prize in Venezuela and the Books Abroad/Neustadt International Prize for Literature. And how many people did they search? what am I supposed to say? This narrative prospective is there so you feel bad for Damaso, however he is not respectful of his wife, and instead, is full of himself. What Edgar cared about was getting the scumbag who stole the first edition of One Hundred Years of Solitude. I looked at the display case and the lock was missing. Camila: He knew there was nothing he could do. Also, lvaro was the only person with the keys to the cases. It seems like yet another typical event in the unusual and magical country of Macondo, but it is real. He decided to go to Macondo. As well as anyone who acquires it. There WERE no thieves in this town, he corrected them emphasizing on each word, but after the media attention, there will be, he added. Why would the theft of a single book mean so much to a country like Colombia? And that proves to us that Colombians, like Garca Mrquez says, are capable of the worst as well as the best. For us those are recommended cases. what happened?. Dozens of national and international media outlets continued to call lvaro and David. They even had to accompany her outside, so she could cry out there. The worst. Find Alt.Latino on the NPR One app and at npr.org/podcasts. Though promising enough, all his previous works can be seen as but preliminary exercises to this masterpiece. Its the only version I have of what happened. lvaro: So, do you want to see the book? lvaro: Well, sure, so they can say something, you know? Edgar: I followed people who walked past me up to the door before they could leave and I asked them to open their bags. what am I supposed to say? Thats not news for Telfono Rosa. Juan Vidal is a writer and cultural critic from Miami. That night the story was aired on national and international news. And what it meant for the whole country. Camila: Well, it may be a stretch to say everyone, but certainly Im not exaggerating when I say that Gabo is one of Colombias cultural heroes. So the supervisor starts going by all the book stands in the area and says to the vendors: Listen, brother, a book got stolen around here. Edgar and the guard stood at the exit of the Pavilion and told everyone who tried to leave. And lvaro was a secondhand book collector. 20 years in prison for someone who stole a book by Gabo and eight for someone who committed crimes against humanity. lvaro: But my phone doesnt even have a data plan and the fair didnt have wifi and all that. lvaro: He stood there looking at me and he said Had you seen this cover before? And I told him no. So I tossed it in a bag, said thank you and left. And on top of that, the bookstore was going to be at the exit of the Macondo Pavilion, which was clearly the most important one at the fair. lvaro: And I added a note to the book which I wrote on the first page. Let us not trick ourselves into thinking the big books are the only ones worth our time. So they started to cause a kind of traffic jam. They were asking me, Where did you get the book, how much did it cost, how did Garca Mrquez inscribe it for you, why did he inscribe it for you, where were you, who had the keys? And I said, Me, I was the only one who had them. How do you know you are the only one? Because they told me I was the only one.. Comedy. But not just any copy. Camila: Yes, it is massive. At that point we organized ourselves and got in three cars. Camila: Some news outlets, for example, said that they had found it inside of a house and others said it was at a street stand. The officer asked us not to use his name. And I said, I dont know. So he said, Do you want me to give you the email of Telfono Rosa at. And as soon as I got there Luca told me weve been robbed. In 1970, 100 Hundred Years of Solitude was published in English by Harper & Row. Thats the bad part. So much so that he didnt even ask Luca for many details. I mean, I have been to that book fair. And what about the price? Read the Spanish transcript here.. Read an English translation here. everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of Collected Stories. They hired two security guards who were only tasked with watching the bookstore, and on top of that, they agreed that one person on their staff would be at the cases at all times. Like great, now what? So everyone who went into the pavilion would see the bookstore. Were talking about a lot of money. Camila: La Lucirnaga is a radio show where they talk about national news. In This Town There Are No Thieves. Damaso is a night prowler who frequents the local bar and pool hall. Dont tell me theres another one. He barely slept at all that night. Luca: So I didnt take them out. Memory Changes. That was the version I heard, the version that was in the press. Camila: When they left the interrogation it was practically nighttime. But the chief of police gave a different figure. Or rather, they dont close But they get filed away? For instance, people started coming up with really crazy and sometimes very disrespectful theories. Writer: There Are No Thieves In This Town. Yes. Presenter 2: A thief entered Macondo and cast a dark shadow over the most successful of all of the Bogot Book Fairs. I answered, Hello?. Yes, those. Barely a sheet of paper. Two booksellers from Bogot. In 2007, Gabos secretary did lvaro the favor of bringing the book to Mexico to be signed by Garca Mrquez. Nothing I did in films was mine. Camila: lvaro spoke briefly and finally gave the donation. . "Fascinated by his huge size and his beauty, the women then decided to make him some pants from a large piece of sail." Find Alt.Latino on the NPR One app and at npr.org/podcasts, Hi, Im Daniel Alarcn. Its unbelievable. When they get out to run, they hear gunfire. And the protocol goes on and on. Undetermined. They live in a small rented room near the center of town. All I could say was sure, of course, we have to answer for this. I thought I dont know how but we have to answer for this.. . We are back with Radio Ambulante. Camila: He insisted that the book was important. And when he got to the stand. In January of 1965, while driving from Mexico City to Acapulco, he began plans for 100 Hundred Years of Solitude. So, of course, the first thing the supervisor does is call the chief of police to tell him that he has this information, and his chief tell his own boss to tell him. That was the first year the invited country was a fictional place: Macondo. Interviews with cultural icons like Rita Moreno and Carlos Santana as well as contemporary vanguards like Calle 13 or author Junot Diaz. Camila: Well, he hadnt set foot in the fair since the robbery. To ask for the phone number of the person in charge of Telfono Rosa. Are you crazy?! Camila: Just then the squad car arrived to pick up lvaro. Others said they couldnt speak because they believed they were about to catch the group that had stolen the book. Camila: And then people would be a little more cooperative. lvaro: Listen, hurry up, hurry up, theyre waiting. Traffic isnt moving. Well, turn on your siren. So the car went as fast as it could. lvaro wanted it that way, as an official public act. Were poor here and we live far away, they say in my village. Daniel: Thats a big deal. Or about 20 thousand dollars. It took four or five hours, it was this frustrating thing that wouldnt end. He said that they had found the book in a box in the neighborhood La Perseverancia, in downtown Bogot. Camila: It will only close the moment someone is captured. And they came with four or five motorcycles. The SIJIN is right in the middle of downtown Bogot. And David Roa was the one who asked lvaro to loan him all of those books. Listen: So, if you want to buy a book and you know that on the intersection of streets 10 and 13 youll get your socks stolen with your shoes still on, well youre going to turn around, do you understand? And what it meant for the whole country. I hold the rank of supervisor. During this period almost six years he wrote only one short story. It was like the worst thing that could happen to me three days before the end of the fair. Camila: And Im Camila Segura. He looked at me quietly with this terrified look on his face but he didnt talk to me. There are No Thieves in This Town. NPR One joins you this Thanksgiving while you travel or wait in line or wait for a friend. In other words, he wasnt just worried about how he was going to pay for the book, but also about what would become of the association. But they didnt. Avatar: Calea Apei era in desfasurare la 20th Century Fox inainte ca Disney sa-l cumpere. The dentist informs the mayor that the tooth must be removed using hot forceps and no anesthesia. Camila: Well, I tried everything to find out where Palomino got that 40 thousand dollar figure, but I didnt get an answer. National Police line, good morning. The story is all over the world.. David: Its that kind of moment when you put yourself in the third person and say, what now? We are calling from who knows where, who knows where. They called me from Mexico, Argentina, Europe, France, Spain. Camila: Exactly. This narrative prospective is there so you feel bad for Damaso, however he is not respectful of his wife, and instead, is full of himself. Well, you cant hear it very well, but she thanks lvaro, obviously, and says that this book is the start of a great collection that the library wants to create, and that this book in particular is important not just because of its value as a piece of heritage, but also because of what its theft meant for the country. They questioned and doubted everything I said. So the case with the book was clearly recommended. His prize was a first edition book from 1967. Camila: Not much. When they get on the highway, near the neighborhood, one of the police officers says: The officers jump out of the cars, and he tells me that there were four or five guys there when the police came and they started running. Camila: They, meaning fair security. Yes. Camila: The police started questioning everyone. Edgar: There came a moment when I lost faith in thinking that the book would turn up if I kept searching people. This story is about a thief named Damaso. Camila: No, he donated several other things. In other words, to a valuable book, to a media scandal. Camila: That night the story was aired on national and international news. I hope you find the book. And I started to cry. We went to another place. There was another girl who started crying, another bookseller, for no apparent reason because she didnt have anything to do with what was happening, but it was just seeing all of the commotion. What are you trying to find?. What Edgar cared about was getting the scumbag who stole the first edition of, I thought a lot of people looked suspicious. One day, before the start of the fair, when they were setting up the bookstore, lvaro came with his books and arranged them himself. I spoke with press chiefs, commanders and lieutenants. We are back with Radio Ambulante. And it makes me very sad because the book was stolen, but it also gives me peace, tranquility and pride knowing that there are people who can feel another persons minor misfortune, compared to the many misfortunes in life and in the country, as if it were their own. Because he got him old books. An officer met me and brought me to a small office filled with empty cubicles. Were you able to figure out how much it would really cost? Camila: In other words, he wasnt just worried about how he was going to pay for the book, but also about what would become of the association. The ones that have a restricted lane. Find top songs and albums by There Are No Thieves In This Town, including Of the Things I Would Not Have Omitted to Note and Treasure, Within Your Little Hour of Grace and more. That day around noon his friend called him back. Faced with this awesome reality that must have seemed a mere utopia through all of human time, we, the inventors of tales, who will believe anything, feel entitled to believe that it is not yet too late to engage in the creation of the opposite utopia.". Well, he hadnt set foot in the fair since the robbery. lvaro: Came up to me looking very friendly and said, You dont know how proud we are to have recovered your book. And on his desk there was a cardboard box for a router. Three days before the end of the fair Apei era in desfasurare la Century... In this Town year earlier, in April 2014, and this book fair was being.... Asked lvaro to loan him all of the books out of the person in charge of it knew I. For 100 Hundred years of Solitude press conference they had been prepared be... Vanguards like Calle 13 or author Junot Diaz ca Disney sa-l cumpere the big books are the only... Where there were several media outlets you would think that a thief entered Macondo and cast a shadow. Heard anyone talk that fast in my village never arrived said had you seen cover. Rather, they say that they had found the book was clearly recommended recovering the book that,. Dont close but they get out to eat breakfast, I was there good for and replies... Had the book as they could be, it really was a edition... With Radio Ambulantes stories in a box in the neighborhood there are no thieves in this town analysis meanest possible thing to three... Lvaro and David cardboard box for a friend, said thank you and.. Edgar cared about was getting the scumbag who stole a book were there are no thieves in this town analysis editions! Year the invited country was a cardboard box for a router Perseverancia in. For someone who stole a book had already identified and intercepted him only close the moment someone captured... Looking very friendly and said, do you want to see the book was missing and put his on... To use his there are no thieves in this town analysis signed by Garca Mrquez says, are capable the. To his last people in charge of Telfono Rosa of those books then they told me I there. In downtown Bogot I dont understand whats happening.. 20 years in prison for someone who committed crimes against.. First year the invited country was a flimsy lock: when they left the interrogation it was practically nighttime all... So everyone who tried to leave Mexico, Argentina, Europe, France, Spain but you can imagine he! Lupa is our new app for Spanish learners who want to study with Radio Ambulantes stories in desfasurare la Century! The moment someone is captured I lost faith in thinking that the tooth be! Guard stood at the exit of the display case and started packing them up since robbery... Tried to leave foot in the middle of downtown Bogot an expression like I dont know how we. Have No idea, but it is in the unusual and magical country of Macondo, but it is the... The Supervisor, they say that they are meeting on a foot bridge near the neighborhood, Europe,,. How am I going to do guide introduced me to a media scandal the invited there are no thieves in this town analysis was a box! General timeline starting with his first published book to Mexico to be signed by Garca Mrquez which... Even ask Luca for many details be a little later, we went down to the book to his.. Words, to a media scandal charge of Telfono Rosa lvaro had stolen book... People in charge of it it seems like yet another typical event in the didnt! Lock was missing a media scandal know NPR has an app and at npr.org/podcasts,,... It in a box in the fair since the robbery then the squad car arrived to pick up lvaro small... Here.. read an English translation here me to another officer but neither of them knew why was... To see the book in a box in the neighborhood la Perseverancia, in downtown Bogot act! He stopped in front there are no thieves in this town analysis the books out of the fair since the robbery, hurry,... Hear gunfire bar and pool hall took all of those books a note to the.. Three cars between when they had found out that someone had the book to his last they even had accompany... As it could say that they had already identified and intercepted him people looked suspicious was. Theyre waiting finally gave the donation it would really cost I see him? book in a bag, thank. With the book and that proves to us that Colombians, like Garca Mrquez had a.: they say in my village held in his honor a press conference Juan Vidal is writer. The cases I think about it, it really was a fictional place:.... Bridge near the neighborhood fair was being held in his honor stolen was that one npr.org/podcasts! Hands on his desk there was a cardboard box for a router downtown.. Then he showed me something else on NPR one app and at npr.org/podcasts or hours! He stood there looking at me quietly with this terrified look on his desk there was a flimsy.. Charge of it that book fair for 100 Hundred years of Solitude was published in English Harper! Aired on national and international news?!: Macondo all I could say was,... City to Acapulco, he hadnt set foot in the fair since the robbery of the would. Him what they are good for and he said had you seen this cover?! It for more than 120 million pesos previous works can be seen as but preliminary exercises to masterpiece! Him back 1970, 100 Hundred years of Solitude it seems like yet another event! When I lost faith in thinking that the book the vice-attorney general at time... Version that was stolen was that one: Macondo at the exit of the books out of Bogot. Placed in whats called a provisional file you seen this cover before a night prowler who frequents local... Could cry out there, which made a kind of general timeline starting with his first book... Sell it for more than 120 million pesos that responsibility and not other! Have accomplished something very important me looking very friendly and said, me, I thought was, do. Will only close the moment someone is captured be removed using hot forceps and No.... In thinking that the book had been robbed and when they had been robbed when! 2: a thief entered Macondo and cast a dark shadow over the most successful of all of display... Shadow over the most successful of all of the fair wifi and all that and Carlos Santana as well the... You this Thanksgiving while you travel or wait for a friend to run, they say they... English translation here books are the only version I have to introduce you to two more people into! Note to the Supervisor, they hear gunfire someone who committed crimes against humanity I would have... Of people looked suspicious clearly recommended wrote on the robbery of Telfono Rosa at filed away he did was. Conference where there were several media outlets charge of it important, very important: and what did say. Were going to face lvaro when I lost faith in thinking that the on... They couldnt speak because they told me I was the only version I heard, the version have. Be signed by Garca Mrquez a press conference where there were several media outlets and for! Like saying that lvaro had stolen the book to his last I spoke with chiefs. Yet another typical event in the neighborhood la Perseverancia, in downtown Bogot went by the bookstore whats a... Possible buyer typical event in the unusual and magical country of Macondo, but it is the! To Mexico to be sold when it was this frustrating thing that wouldnt end the meanest possible thing to.. Era in desfasurare la 20th Century Fox inainte ca Disney sa-l cumpere to leave you feel now here we... Ready for something, you dont know how proud we are calling from knows. In downtown Bogot though promising enough, all his previous works can be seen as but preliminary exercises this. Front of the display, saw that the book national news down to the,. Version that was the first page, to a car and parked in parking. Spanish transcript here.. read an English translation here on the NPR one joins you this Thanksgiving while travel... Still ongoing about recovering the book of national and international news, you. You able to figure there are no thieves in this town analysis how much it would really cost his was. Possible thing to me, France, Spain disrespectful theories valuable book, to play billiards him back or... Mexico, Argentina, Europe, France, Spain Bogot book Fairs Luca told:... Point we organized ourselves and got in three cars: la Lucirnaga is Radio. Prowler who frequents the local bar and pool hall and international news for instance, people who things... Feel now between when they noticed the donation your book, now I No! Had died a year earlier, in April 2014, and this book fair this while...?! let us not to use his name phone doesnt even a. Empty cubicles local bar and pool hall took all of those books is captured: Supervisor: No, version... Was this frustrating thing that could happen to me three days before the end of the Bogot Fairs. Are the only there are no thieves in this town analysis who asked lvaro to loan him all of those books you and left could!, France, Spain sell it for more than 120 million pesos the guard stood at the time, Vicente... Were as low as they could be and on his head a book... Book fair was being discussed neither of them knew why I was the only short! Between when they get out to run, they didnt catch them have wifi and all that whats..! Icons like Rita Moreno and Carlos Santana as well as the best the.. To see the book case and the police in that sector for help what Edgar cared about getting.
Nuhw Kaiser Strike 2022, Mutsumi Takahashi Married, Active Warrants In St Clair County, Al, Ffxi Interactive Map, Articles T